$1,000 Prize for First Place Peace Essay
2020 Peace Essay-Response Contest Rules
The West Suburban Faith-Based Peace Coalition is again sponsoring a Peace Essay Contest with a $1,000.00 award to the winner, $500 for the runner-up, and $300 for third place.
As in the past, essays will be directed to a person who can help promote knowledge of the Kellogg-Briand Pact (KBP) and from whom a response is expected. Essays will be judged on the quality of the essay. Lack of response will not be factored in the judging, but responses will be useful in assessing the effectiveness of the Peace Essay Project. Everyone is eligible to participate; there are no restrictions regarding age or country of residence.
Participants are required to take the following three steps:
- To enter the contest, send a Peace Essay Request email to coordinator Walt Zlotow at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com. Provide your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and age if under 18. Also, provide the name and position of the person or persons to whom the essay will be directed. Your acceptance as a contest participant will be acknowledged in an email with your 4-digit Essay Number. [If information is missing or confusing, you will be contacted by email or phone.]
- In 800 words or less write your essay on: How Can We Obey the Law Against War? As soon as possible but at least by April 15, 2020 send the essay to the person named in your application and a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with your essay number in the subject line.
- By May 30, 2020 send essay response documentation to email@example.com with your essay number in the subject line.
Some examples of impact:
- The President agrees to explain the limitations placed on the government by KBP.
- A member of congress supports a resolution to make August 27 a Day of Reflection.
- The ACT or SAT administration agrees to include questions regarding KBP.
- A newspaper includes a KBP story.
- A school board revises its curriculum to expand KBP studies.
- A religious leader calls for nonviolent actions.
Act now: We will notify winners one month prior to announcing them publically at the Peace Essay Awards Luncheon honoring the 92nd Anniversary of the Kellogg-Briand Pact on Aug, 26, 2020.